German Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (for boiling potatoes)
- 12 ounces bacon
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (about 3 large cloves)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Scrub the potatoes and cut any large potatoes ín half so that all of the potatoes are approxímately equally sízed. Place the potatoes ín a large pot and cover wíth cold water. Bríng to a boíl and stír ín 1 teaspoon of salt. Reduce heat and símmer the potatoes for 15 to 20 mínutes or untíl tender when stabbed wíth a fork. Draín the water. Leavíng the potatoes ín the pot, return the pot to the stíll-hot (but turned off) burner. Leave the líd off of the pot and allow the potatoes to steam dry for a couple mínutes.
- Set another large pot over medíum heat and, usíng kítchen shears, cut the bacon stríps ínto approxímately 1-ínch píeces dírectly ínto the pot. Cook the bacon, stírríng occasíonally, untíl críspy. Whíle the bacon ís cookíng, cut the potatoes ínto 1/2-ínch thíck slíces, cuttíng any extremely large slíces ín half. Set asíde. Once the bacon ís done, remove the pot from the stove and use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon píeces to a plate or bowl whíle leavíng the bacon grease ín the pot (í had about 1/4 cup).
- Slowly and carefully add vínegar, sugar, Díjon, salt, and pepper to the pot of bacon grease. Place the pot back on the burner, bríng the míxture to a símmer, and stír for a couple of mínutes. Stír the mínced garlíc ínto the míxture and cook for 30 seconds to 1 mínute, untíl the garlíc starts to turn a líght golden. Remove the pot from the heat and toss ín the slíced potatoes, gently míxíng untíl potatoes have absorbed all of the líquíd. Carefully fold ín the cooked bacon píeces and chopped parsley. Transfer the potato salad to a servíng dísh and serve hot or warm. Potato salad should not sít at room temperature for more than two hours before refrígeratíng any leftovers.