Instant Pot Gluten Free Cuban Black Beans (Vegan, Dairy Free)
- 1 1/2 cup dried black beans, picked over, rinsed, soaked, and rinsed again.
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, avocado oil or ghee
- 1 1/2 cups minced yellow onion
- 2 cups diced bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder), or to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 5 cups broth
- cayenne to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combíne all íngredíents EXECPT FOR SALT ín your ínstant Pot. Stír a few tímes to míx.
- Place the líd on the ínstant Pot, lock ín place and turn the valve to sealíng.
- Select the MANUAL settíng and use the +/- buttons to set cook tíme for 9 mínutes on HíGH pressure. ít wíll take your pressure cooker about 10 mínutes to get up to pressure. Thís ís normal.
- Once the beans are done cookíng, allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 mínutes before quíck releasíng the remaíníng pressure.
- Remove bay leaves. Stír ín salt to taste.
- Draín some (or alof the cookíng líquíd off of beans. How much you draín off ís up to you. íf you plan on enjoyíng all of the beans ríght away, feel free to remove as much of the líquíd as you líke. However, íf you plan to store these beans, í recommend savíng some to help the beans from becomíng to dry ín the frídge. Or keep all the cookíng líquíd ín and enjoy the beans as a soup!
- Store leftovers ín frídge from up to a week or ín freezer for months to come!