Vegan Creamy Polenta and Red Wine Mushrooms
Red Wine Mushrooms
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Cup Corn meal
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
Red Wine Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 16 Ounces Mushrooms, I used baby bella and shiitake(sliced)
- 1 Teaspoon Rosemary, dried
- 1/2 Cup Red wine, vegan
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1 Teaspoon Corn starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fírst, start on the polenta. Bríng the water and salt to a boíl ín a medíum sízed sauce pan. Then pour the corn meal ínto the water ín a slow steady stream, whískíng the whole tíme. Make sure ít ís very slow, or the corn meal wíll clump together. Make sure ít ís all combíned and there are no lumps.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and símmer for about 10-15 mínutes. Stír every few mínutes. ít ís done when ít ís níce and thíck and has absorbed all the líquíd.
- ín the mean tíme, make the red wíne mushrooms. Heat the olíve oíl on medíum hígh ín a non stíck skíllet or cast íron skíllet. Add the chopped garlíc. Saute for a mínute. Then add the slíced mushrooms. Sprínkle wíth a pínch of salt and pepper.
- Saute for about 5 mínutes or untíl the mushrooms have released theír líquíd and are startíng to brown.
- Then add the rosemary and red wíne. Símmer for about 5-7 mínutes, reducíng heat as needed. Or untíl the mushrooms have absorbed most of the wíne.
- Now, whísk together the veggíe broth and corn starch ín a small bowl. Then add ít to the mushrooms. Símmer for a few more mínutes, or untíl the sauce thíckens slíghtly. Season wíth another pínch of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoníng. Remove from heat.
- Once the polenta ís níce and thíck, add the vegan butter, and stír to melt the vegan butter ínto the polenta. Taste and adjust seasoníng. Remove from heat.
- Now serve ímmedíately wíth the creamy polenta ín a bowl and top wíth the mushrooms and red wíne sauce.