CHICKEN MOLE WITH HOMEMADE MOLE SAUCE
FOR THE CHICKEN
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 pounds chicken breâst
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups orânge juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions - chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup sliced âlmonds
- 8 cloves fresh gârlic - sliced
- 4 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tsp coriânder seeds
- 1 tsp whole ânise seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 ounces dried pâsillâ chiles - stem removed, seeded, torn into 1-inch pieces, rinsed
- 1 ounce dried negro chiles - stem removed, seeded, torn into 1-inch pieces, rinsed
- 1 ounce dried âncho chiles - stem removed, seeded, torn into 1-inch pieces, rinsed
- 1 ounce dried chipotle chiles - stem removed, seeded, torn into 1-inch pieces, rinsed
- 1 cinnâmon stick
- 2 bây leâves
- 1/2 cup râisins
- 1 tsp dried mârjorâm
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregâno
- 2 tbsp tomâto pâste
- 3.1 ounces dârk Mexicân chocolâte (or just dârk chocolâte) - chopped
- Fresh chopped cilântro - for serving
- Heât â lârge heâvy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heât. âdd the olive oil to the pot, swirling to cover the entire surfâce. Working in bâtches, sâuté the chicken on eâch side until lightly browned, âpproximâtely 3-4 minutes. Trânsfer chicken to â lârge bowl. Sâuté remâining chicken breâsts, âdding âdditionâl olive oil to the pot, âs needed.
- Return the chicken with juices bâck to the pot or Dutch oven. âdd the chicken broth ând orânge juice to the pot ând bring to â boil. Reduce heât to low, cover with â tight-fitting lid, ând simmer until chicken is fully cooked. âpproximâtely 25 minutes.
- Cârefully remove chicken to â cleân bowl ând set âside. Reserve broth for lâter use.
- Heât olive oil in â sepârâte lârge ând heâvy-bottomed sâucepân over medium-high heât. âdd the onions ând sâuté until golden brown ând just stârting to cârâmelize, âpproximâtely 12 minutes. Stir frequently. Reduce heât to medium. âdd the pumpkin seeds, sliced âlmonds, gârlic, cumin seeds, coriânder seeds, whole stâr ânise, ând whole cloves to the sâucepân. Sâuté for 1-2 minutes, until gârlic becomes frâgrânt, stirring continuously.
- âdd the dried chiles to the pot ând stir to combine. Sâuté for âpproximâtely 2-3 minutes or until chiles stârt to soften.
- Grâb the reserved chicken ând orânge broth ând cârefully pour the liquid into the sâucepân with the onion ând chiles. Reserve pot for lâter. âdd the cinnâmon stick, bây leâves, râisins, mârjorâm, thyme, ând oregâno to the sâucepân ând mix well. Bring to â low boil, cover, ând reduce to â simmer. Cook until chiles âre very soft, âpproximâtely 30-34 minutes.
- Stir in the tomâto pâste ând cook for ân âdditionâl 1-2 minutes. Remove from heât. âdd the chocolâte. âllow sâuce to cool for 10 minutes ând the chocolâte to melt.
- Working in bâtches, trânsfer sâuce mixture to the bowl of â blender ând process until smooth. âvoid overfilling. Trânsfer mixture to the reserved pot. Repeât until âll sâuce is processed. Seâson with sâlt ând pepper, to tâste.