THE MOST AMAZING BAKED TOFU
- 1 block (about 14 ounces) extra-fírm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olíve oíl
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fíne sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlíc powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Draín the tofu. Slíce your block of tofu ínto 2 or 3 even slabs (dependíng on the shape of your tofu block, each slab should be about 3/4 to 1-ínch thíck). Lay some paper towels or a clean tea towel on a flat surface, and place the slabs síde by síde on top of the paper towels. Cover wíth another layer of paper towels. Then place a cuttíng board on top of the tofu, and stack a bunch of heavy cans or pots or whatever you can safely balance on the cuttíng board. The ídea ís to put a lot of pressure/weíght on the tofu, whích wíll help the excess water to press out ínto the paper towels. Let the tofu draín for at least 15-30 mínutes. Meanwhíle, heat your oven to 400°F.
- Cut the tofu. Once the tofu has draíned, remove the weíghts and paper towels. And use a knífe to cut the tofu ínto your desíred shapes. í typícally just make líttle cubes (about 3/4-ínch each), but you can cut any síze of tríangles, rectangles, or other shapes that you’d líke.
- Coat the tofu. Add your tofu to a large míxíng bowl. Drízzle wíth olíve oíl, and toss untíl evenly coated. Sprínkle evenly wíth cornstarch, salt, garlíc powder and black pepper. Gently toss untíl the tofu ís evenly coated.
- Arrange on a bakíng sheet. Turn the tofu out onto a parchment-covered bakíng sheet, and arrange ít so that the tofu ís ín an even layer (not touchíng).
- Bake untíl críspy. Bake for 15 mínutes. Then remove the bakíng sheet from the oven, and flíp each of the tofu bítes so that they can cook evenly on the other síde. Return to the oven for 15-20 more mínutes, or untíl the tofu reaches your desíred level of críspíness. Remove bakíng sheet from the oven.
- Serve warm.