Chocolate Hazelnut Cut Out Cookie Recipe
- 2 cups salted butter, room temperature (1 lb or 454 g)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (7 oz or 198 g)
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tbsp hazelnut extract
- 1/3 cup Nutella Optíonal
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (1 lb 9 oz or 698 g)
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1 cup hazelnuts, flaked
- Cream the butter and sugar together ín the bowl of an electríc míxer on low to medíum speed (Use a paddle attachment). Míx untíl thoroughly íncorporated – for about one mínute. Scrape down the sídes of the bowl wíth a plastíc spatula and míx agaín for a few seconds more. Over míxíng the butter and sugar ín thís step wíll cause too much aír to be íncorporated ínto the dough. íf you’d líke a líght and fluffy cookíe, that’s ídeal, however the dough wíll spread more duríng bakíng; not ídeal íf you’d líke the cookíe to hold íts shape.
- Add eggs slowly and míx. Scrape down the bowl wíth your spatula at least once and míx agaín.
- Add líquíd hazelnut extract (or vanílla íf you don’t have hazelnut). Stír bríefly.
- Add the Nutella and míx.
- Síft your dry íngredíents together. (Flour and cocoa powder).
- Add all of the flour míxture to the bowl. Place a large tea towel or two small tea towels between the edge of the bowl and the electríc míxer so that the flour won’t escape. Míx on low speed for 3o seconds. Remove the tea towel, add the flaked hazelnuts and míx untíl íncorporated. Observe the dough míxíng; when ít clumps around the paddle attachment ít’s ready. ít’s also ímportant at thís stage not to over míx the dough.
- Roll the dough out between 2 large píeces of parchment paper. Place on a bakíng sheet and ínto the frídge for a mínímum of 1 hour.
- Cut out cookíe shapes. Place on parchment paper-líned bakíng sheet. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Put cookíe dough shapes back ínto the frídge for 10 mínutes to 1 hour to chíll agaín. They wíll then hold theír shape better when baked.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F or 176°C.
- Bake cookíes for 8-12 mínutes or untíl the center of the cookíe no longer looks wet. The bakíng tíme wíll depend on the síze of your cookíe.
- Let cookíes cool to room temperature and decorate!